Whether you’re moving within the Dallas/Fort Worth area or moving long distance across the country, the process of moving starts long before our movers arrive at your home.
Founded in 1966, North Dallas Moving and Storage (NDMS) is a family-owned and operated Dallas-based moving company serving residential and commercial customers throughout DFW, Texas region and beyond. NDMS is located in Carrollton, Texas, and was appointed as agent for United Van Lines in 1975 and has since established itself as one of United’s largest booking agents. Below are some helpful moving out tips to speed your relocation process along.
Follow these steps to prepare for you move:
- If you are moving large appliances, make sure they are ready for transport. We recommend that you have your washers and dryers serviced beforehand.
- Empty and unplug your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before your movers arrive. This will give it time to defrost and dry before they are loaded on the truck.
- Safely dispose of anything that can’t be taken on the moving van, including chemicals, cleaning products and propane tanks.
- If you are planning to do any of your own packing, make sure all of your boxes are packed, sealed and labeled before the movers arrive.
- Use professional packing materials and clearly label each box with the room of the house where the items inside belong.
- Prepare a box of essential items to load last onto the truck. This will be the first box unloaded at your home and should contain things like paper towels, toilet paper, soap, a travel alarm clock, bottled water,a first-aid kit, and anything else you might need at your new home before everything else is unloaded and unpacked.
- Be sure to set aside items that you do not want packed in the moving van. This should include a suitcase of clothing that you and your family will need over the next several days. It is a good idea to put these items in a closet that you have clearly labeled “Do Not Pack”.
- Make sure you complete your high-value inventory form. This form should include any items that are worth more than $100 per pound.
- Consider hiring a babysitter if you have small children in the house, and put pets somewhere where they will be safe and out of the way.
- Before the driver leaves your home, do one last check for anything that might have been left behind. Be sure to check attics, storage sheds, and basements.
- Right before you leave the house, turn off all lights, your furnace, and your air conditioner. Lock your windows and doors, and leave behind your keys and garage door openers for the new occupants.
We recommend downloading our complete moving checklist, and please visit our website often as we are always posting helpful moving information. We also invite you to join in on on the conversation at our NDMS Facebook and Dallas/Fort Worth movers Google+ pages.
North Dallas Moving and Storage Locations Served Throughout Texas